Date(s) - 01/08/2016
7:15 pm - 9:00 pm
Category(ies) No Categories
Space limited to 9 participants.
One of the main reasons for the high recidivism rate when it comes to sex & love compulsions is a lack of insight into personal core beliefs and insufficient recovery focus and structure. This group aims to redress these difficulties and to provide the participant with a tested, theoretical and practical programme. It draws from the works of Dr Patrick Carnes, an internationally recognised leader in the field of sex addiction, and incorporates tried and tested principles of Twelve Step Recovery. This group will benefit those who need more insight into the roots of their sexual or relationship compulsions, and who are looking to strengthen their recovery foundation. You get a chance to “rewrite your script”, and make sense of the often confusing destructive behaviour patterns that dominate your life.
- Maximum group size will be nine male participants with any sexual identity or orientation.
- Abstinence from “bottom line” sexual behaviours, alcohol and narcotics is a pre-requisite for the 18 weeks.
- Group members will be assigned to a smaller sub-group for support, accountability and assistance with the written work that needs to be completed. The sub-groups will as well meet on a weekly basis at a time mutually agreed by the sub-group members.
- Participants are in addition required to attend at least one SAA or SLAA 12 Step Fellowship group per week.
- Besides the therapeutic process, some groups will incorporate didactic sessions supported by various writings and first hand accounts.
- Due to the intense nature of the group work and the depth of introspection required, individual therapy will be essential for the period of the programme. It is also strongly recommended that your partners engage in their own therapy process.Facilitator
Mark Emmerich is an experienced recovery counsellor who has had many years of working in both in and outpatient settings. He has been in private practice for seven years, and has had more than 12 years of experience working with people struggling with sexual & relationship compulsions. He has been on his own personal recovery journey for more than 19 years.
The groups will be held at Mark’s rooms at Prospect Hill Recovery Practice, 3 Prospect Hill Rd, Wynberg.
Dates and Times
The group starts on Mon 01 Aug 2016 and will run for 18 consecutive weeks every Monday starting at 19h15 and ending at 21h00. Certain groups may run to 21h15.
The group work component is R5 760.00(320 per group) and the participant will be expected to make full payment before commencement of the group process. An early deposit of R1800 secures your place. (Please contact Mark if you need to make alternative arrangements.) In addition participants will need to purchase Dr Carnes’s book ‘Facing the Shadows’ (approx. R750) and your own individual therapy will be a further additional cost.
Note: It is imperative that all participants complete a pre-group assessment and this will be charged at an individual session rate. Please contact Mark ASAP to arrange for this. Not applicable if you are an existing client.